Tuesday, May 21, 2013

My first real Mother's Day

It seems almost surreal that I celebrated my first real mother's day! I say real because I feel like i've celebrated for a few years now! My parents have actually sent me mother's day cards for a few years, even before kids were on our radar. I think I may have even gotten one before I was even married. Daniel has given me mother's day cards every year too. It might be strange, but I absolutely love it!


This year I was beyond excited to celebrate mother's day. Not just for me and Paige, but my own mom and my sister, Sarah. Becoming a mom has made me realize and be grateful on a whole new level what my mom has done for me. Because I know how much I love Paige. I know the out of control love i have for her when I hold her. i know how deep my love for Paige is, even though right now she has no clue. And it makes me think of my own mom. All of the sacrifices she has made for us over the years. Especially the ones when we were little, that were most likely not acknowledged. The endless laundry, cooking, diaper changing, etc.....I know my mom loved us with a selfless love. I'm slowly realizing how much she did for us when we were kids. It amazes me. I almost can't find the words to say. Because I know thank you isn't enough. I know my mom sacrificed herself for us. I long to have a love like that for my children. I daily see how selfish I am.


I love being a mom. I love the timing of it all. Sarah having a little girl just 11 weeks older than Paige has been one of the biggest blessings ever. I love that we talk all the time-comparing feedings, schedules, diapers, weight-loss, and everything in between. I am so grateful for Sarah and her experience as a mom. She has taught me so much, and I am better for her example in my life. 

So this Mother's Day I was thinking thru all of what it means to be a mom. And so grateful for the wonderful examples I've been given. I really can't do it justice or express how thankful I am for my own mom. I wish I could go back to my younger self and say 'hey, instead of getting mad at your mom, why don't you thank her for feeding you at 3 am?" ha

Here's a recap of my day!

I woke up to red roses and a card from Daniel. (and yes, I forgot to take a pic of the flowers, but they were beautiful!) Inside Daniel's card he told me he would be making dinner all week! There was a menu, and I got to choose what we ate each night. It was so nice to have the extra time-while he cooked, I was able to go out for a walk, or just read and relax for a bit. It was great! And we found a new recipe we liked too!

We got together with some friends that day, so I volunteered to make cupcakes. I wanted them to be fancy since it was Mother's Day. So I found this tutorial online and thought they came out pretty good. I didn't have the exact same tips, but it worked.


I used a regular cake mix and then made the Wilton buttercream recipe. 


I will definitely be making these again!


For dinner, I chose to go eat local. A little strange considering we eat it a lot, but i was craving it!


We ordered egg and tomato, beef with peppers and rice. It was SOOO good and exactly what I wanted!

Paige gave me a present too-she slept for over 2 hours that afternoon and I got to nap too! 

I had a wonderful mother's day and am so so thankful for Paige making me a mama!

love

laura

No comments:

Post a Comment