Friday, February 10, 2012

New obsession

I recently found a new blog that I am borderline obsessed with! Now, remember I'm not vegan, but I have a strong desire to eat healthy and find new and better ways to make things.

Now that I'm on Pinterest I'm finding all kinds of new recipes and blogs. My new favorite is Chocolate Covered Katie. If you haven't been to her blog, I highly recommend a visit!

Now, I don't have access to all of her ingredients, but there are some things that are doable. Which brings me to my new I-want-it-to-be-an-obsession-but-for-now-i'll-just-try-it-a-lot oatmeal kick!

Last week I decided to make oatmeal. Which is strange for many reasons.....I haven't eaten oatmeal since I was a wee one. Apparently I stopped liking it once I reached the toddler stage....babies, what do they know? And I've never made oatmeal before. I've seen instant packets in the states, and even here at the import stores.

So to satisfy my curiosity I googled some recipes and made this for me and Daniel last week. I don't have maple syrup so I used regular pancake syrup instead....I have no idea if it's the same thing or not, but hey they both have 'syrup' in their name. I also left out the raisins and dried fruit, because gross.

Anyways, it wasn't my all time fave, but it was a great starting point. One thing I do love about oatmeal, is that it's healthy, natural, and really filling. I hate when I eat breakfast and am hungry 2 hours later.

All this to say.....I did a little combo of CCK's Snickerdoodle and Brownie Batter oatmeal. This is what I did:

Microwaved 1/2 cup oats for 2 1/2 minutes with 3/4 cup water. Then I put that in my blender, with a few tablespoons of milk, 1 tsp vanilla, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp Hershey's cocoa powder (hello less than 10 calories!!), 1 tsp Splenda, and blended.

(i think it came out to about 200 calories)

It wasn't amazing. But again, i'm still getting used to the whole oatmeal thing. But it did taste good, and filled me up! So I want to keep experimenting with different flavors. I really like the blending part. And I want to try her voluminous oatmeal trick soon too.

Can you tell I'm excited? Because I am.

In other news.....last night we had breakfast burritos for dinner. I think last night might have been a first for us to have breakfast for dinner. Not because I'm against it, I just never think about it.


We scrambled up some eggs, fried potatoes, tomatoes, onions, and bacon, and made our own tortillas!


yum!


No big plans this weekend. Daniel is teaching tonight, tomorrow morning we're getting together for breakfast with some friends, and will probably get some study time in too.

Also......you know my running has been almost non-existent lately. I just can't get motivated. Even though the scale is moving the wrong direction, I cannot seem to make myself go outside and run. But refusing to be a complete slug, I did do the 30 Day Shred yesterday. Because it's an indoor friendly activity and have I mentioned it's cold and gross outside??

Anyways, I haven't done the Shred in almost 6 months. The work out was fine, but let me tell you I am embarrassingly sore today! Note to self-it's not the Twice a Year Shred.

love

laura

No comments:

Post a Comment