Saturday, September 15, 2012

Gender Reveal Party

Ever since I became pregnant, I knew I wanted to do a gender reveal party. I had seen blogs and things on Pinterest of people who had them, and they looked SO fun! And with this being our first child, I thought it would be a great way to announce the gender.

Honestly, I wasn't sure if the party was going to happen. I made my appointment this past Tuesday, and invited everyone over to celebrate on Friday nite. I was SOOOO worried that the doctor wouldn't be able to tell the gender and we would have to postpone the party, and that my mom wouldn't have enough time to get things together for when she comes to visit NEXT WEEK! Seriously, the past several nights I've barely slept. You would think my focus would be more on finding out if we are having a girl or boy, ha!

So.............

Here are some decorations:


We had a spot for people to suggest baby names for us....some suggestions were: Amelia, Nicholas, Caleb, Ruthabell Lee, Cameron, Gabriel, and the kid suggestions were: Mom, Cutie, AC, Rhoda, and Sweetie. I loved that the kids got in on it too!



We had a board where people could vote girl or boy with lips or mustaches. Lips won 8-7!


I copied this idea from a few different gender reveal blogs. It's a board showing the Old Wives tales and I circled my answers.


I printed my belly shots and hung them up for people to see the progress of the bump.


Food Table:

Cupcakes, mint chocolate chip brownies, veggie tray, and grapes.


I planned to make White Almond Wedding Cake, dye the inside pink, and then we would cut into it to reveal the gender. I've made this cake several times in the States. However, last night was probably by far, the biggest disaster I've ever had in the kitchen.

Here's the batter:


I put the batter into 2 round 8 inch pans. Again, this is how I've always made it. I should've taken an after picture....because when I took the cakes out of the pans, they literally just fell apart into pieces. I thought I might be able to salvage them and cover it with icing, but I had time to make it again, so I did.  The exact same thing happened again!!! So I tried to put it all together like a puzzle, and it did not go well.




So I panicked. And then decided to make mint chocolate chip brownies instead, and decided we would just use the cupcakes I'd already made as the way we would reveal the gender.




Since I'd used all our eggs on the cakes, I didn't have any for the brownies! So I sent Daniel to our neighbors, while I started making the brownies (from scratch people.) The brownies were just coming out of the oven when our guests arrived. In the midst of the Kitchen Disaster 2012, we just moved the cake and covered it up. 

This is how it looked after the party....


AND we received our very first baby present!!! It's actually the only thing we have, cos Daniel and I haven't bought anything......but hopefully soon!

(our friend who gifted this to us actually didn't even know the gender yet, she was just convinced we were having a girl!)



Yay for gender reveal parties!!

love

laura

3 comments:

  1. Bless your heart, that poor cake! But what a cute idea and the party is adorable - just like you!

    Annnnd, a baby girl! Woo hoo! Let the life of pink, purple, glitter, rainbows and ponies begin! So sweet. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! Congrats on the little girl on the way!!

    ReplyDelete