Monday, July 4, 2011

I'm back!! (and awkward story)

I ran this morning.

I haven't run in one month. It's the longest stretch of not-running i've had in the last year and a half, since i've started. Last night when going to bed i kept thinking 'i wonder if i've still got it?' 'will my body remember how?'

This is me before:


And this is me 2.1 miles later!


I was trying to capture how sweaty i was. Even though it was only 2 miles, i had sweat literally pouring off of my body. Not sure what the temp was, but it was 90% humidity.

I feel like i started running for the first time all over again! I was SO proud and excited that i actually did it. It was more of a mental victory than a physical one. I've been scared to run here for a while. But i ran at 7 am so there wasn't as many people out yet.  I didn't run with headphones though. There is so much going on with motorbikes riding on the sidewalk, cars honking, and people that will walk straight into you, that i want to be pretty aware of my surroundings.

I would like to get back to running 5-6 miles at a time. I think i could do 3 later this week if i had to. It feels SO good to be back!

Sidenote: We made Cajun blackened tilapia last night with corn and rice with a twist. What is the twist you ask?? Cooking the rice in coconut milk instead of water. We had the rice this way at a friends house last week and i loved it!! And i don't even like coconut-but it gave it such a great flavor! This dinner was good!




Cultural sidenote:

Okay, this may be weird to share, but here goes. We have Western (american) toilets in our apartment. However, once we leave our house, almost all bathrooms are squatty's. They can be nice ones that actually flush, or trough style where you just straddle the hole. I have squatty'd many a time. Never had a problem. You do want to be careful to keep your balance though because nothing is grosser than falling forward (or backward eww) in a squatty.

SO, last Saturday night we went to our friends cd release show. I had showered and was wearing jeans. I went to the bathroom at the restaurant. It was a squatty. no.big.deal.

So i'm going.....and i hear a strange sound that doesn't sound quite right. I kept going.

I walked out of the squatty stall and looked down at my pant leg. Soaking wet!!! I had peed all over the bottom of my jeans! Hello, what the heck???? I have NEVER peed on myself or had issues before. So i rolled up the bottom of my jeans to hide it and went back to the show.

Life goes on. You have to laugh at these things. You never know what kind of weird situation you'll be in at any moment. You have to learn to roll with it. It's life and it's awkward.

love

Laura




4 comments:

  1. Laura ---Glad you found time to run! I'm sure it felt so great! I started trail running last week. LOVED IT!

    I almost peed my pants in the car on the way home from Walmart tonight...so don't feel bad! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I totally get the whole 'oops I pee'd on myself thing' Guys have it WAY too easy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Laura...you peed on yourself...lol! I am so glad to hear everything is starting to get normal, and that you got to run. I also love the fact that almost all of your post have food in them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So funny! I'm glad you shared that story - I hadn't even thought about having different toilets in China.

    Great job on getting back into running!

    ReplyDelete