Friday, March 2, 2012

Detox

We made it back. We were gone for 2 weeks for vacation, medical stuff, and some time learning how to live life better here.

But ya'll......can we please talk about the food?!?!?!

First, I love a good hamburger, fries, and coke meal as much as the next person. But oh my good grief, we ate, ate, ate, and ate. While we were gone we ate at the following places (and most of them more than once): Chili's, TGIFriday's, Dunkin Donuts, Mister Donuts, McDonald's, Burger King, Auntie Anne's, Starbucks, and many many local food stands that were certainly not winning any healthy cooking awards.

But the body can only handle so much. It's amazing how Daniel and I both felt so gross after eating high calorie, high fat, greasy foods. We're just not used to it. And to tie that in with very little physical activity to boot.

While we loved getting to spoil ourselves a little bit by eating western food, it was a huge reminder that what we eat is important. We got home this afternoon, so we'll probably go to the market tomorrow. But can I tell you how I have been longing to make some homemade oatmeal or peanut butter toast or something that wasn't fried or covered in chocolate?? Seriously, homemade nutritious food has never sounded so good.

I can not wait to hit up the market to get lots of good fruits and veggies. Granted, while we were travelling fruit was actually pretty easy to get, so I did have a lot of fresh fruit smoothies (no sugar or anything added), and I had fruit pretty often, but the lack of good green veggies in my life these past 2 weeks is shameful. Especially when I have a fruit smoothie seconds after eating a chili cheese hot dog and fries. True story.

Don't worry, I'll try to post about our vacation tomorrow. I don't think I have enough to do a day by day (you're welcome), but we did have such a great time in Malaysia, that it needs a few posts of its own.

I don't want this to come across as a negative post, it's not intended to be at all! But in this moment as I'm writing, it's what I'm feeling. And it just makes me really thankful to be able to cook at home and eat (as best we can) healthy meals.

and p.s we've been up since 4:30am so I'm also tired and not all together with it :)

love

laura

No comments:

Post a Comment