Wednesday, August 17, 2011

It's Granola

A few days ago i asked for recipes for homemade granola bars. My friend sent me one and i tried it out tonight. I changed a few things, but overall used the recipe.

P.S. I actually halfed the recipe because A. i wasn't sure how they would turn out, and B. i had a small amount of chocolate chips and haven't been able to find any at the import stores here. Not having access to chocolate chips is not good for my control issues.


I  added 1 Tbs flax seed to the recipe. Because my sister would want me to. And really, why wouldn't you?

I mixed together the oats, flax, flour,  honey, brown sugar, butter (I used room temp) and  vanilla together.



Then I added a cup (total) of chopped almonds, cashews, and chocolate chips.

I know it really doesn't look like a lot, but in the end, these turned out pretty thick. I lightly greased an 8X8 (recipe is for 9X13, but again i halfed it). I pushed the mixture in pretty hard into the pan.


I actually baked these for a good 25 minutes, if not more. But it was also in a toaster oven, so i guess it just depends on what you're using. They still seemed a bit soft to me when I pulled them out. I looked at some other recipes online and they suggested putting them in the freezer straight from the oven to harden them. Some people said that if you just keep them at room temp to cool, they'll fall apart.

So I froze mine for over an hour. Took them out, cut them and ate them! They were good, but not spectacular. I think because they looked like cookie bars i was execting something really sweet, but these aren't.

Daniel thinks raisins would be really good, but gag me. I want to experiment with adding peanut butter chips, more chocolate chips than I did this time, and maybe substituting peanut butter for some of the honey. But this is a great starter recipe, just add whatever you like for the "extras."

Here's the recipe!!

Chewy granola bars


4 1/2 c rolled oats
3/4 c flour
1 tsp vanilla
2/3 c butter
3/4 c honey
1/3 c packed brown sugar
2 c add ins (nuts, dried fruit, chocolate...)
325 degrees 9*13 pan

Mix all ingredient except addins. Then add addins. Firmly press in pan. Bake 18-20 min or golden brown. Let cool 10 min than cut. Let cool completely before removing from pan."
 
 
(Again I froze mine and halfed the recipe, but do whatever feels right to you.)
 
Stay tuned for another food post tomorrow!
 
love
 
Laura
 

No comments:

Post a Comment